Countywide

Firefighters rescue two cats from McLean house fire, transport person to hospital with minor injuries

Firefighters rescued two cats from a house fire in McLean last night (Monday) caused by a kerosene lamp.

One of two occupants was transported to a hospital with minor injuries, the Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department wrote in a news release.

Investigators determined that the fire started at the house in the 6800 block of Churchill Road after an occupant accidentally spilled kerosene when refilling a kerosene-fueled lamp. When the lamp was turned on, the kerosene ignited and spread to nearby combustibles in a first-floor bedroom, the release said.

Both of the occupants evacuated the two-story house, which also had working smoke alarms that went off.

Units from the Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department and the Arlington County Fire Department were dispatched to the fire around 8:32 p.m.

Fire was showing from windows on the first floor when units arrived, FCFRD said. Crews quickly extinguished it.

“Two cats were rescued by crews and care was initiated by EMS,” a release from the department states.  “Animal Control transported cats to local vet. Both expected to recover. There were no firefighter injuries reported.”

The fire was contained to the bedroom and damages amounted to approximately $62,500.