Reston’s annual Founders Day will return on Saturday (April 9) to Lake Anne Plaza.
While the event celebrates Reston’s diversity and rich history, this year’s festivities give a special nod to Uruguayan artist Gonzalo Fonseca, who designed many of the sculptures at Lake Anne.
Fonseca was an internationally recognized artist, world traveler and polylingual, according to Reston Museum, which will house an exhibit paying tribute to the artist.
Fonseca, who died in 1997 and would have been 100 years old this year, viewed sculpture as a “microcosmic way to engage civilization and weave together past and future,” according to his website. With stone as his medium of choice, he designed a playground, underpass and monument in Reston.
Other activities include a sun boat design contest and art projects at Reston Art Gallery & Studios, Public Art Reston, the Japanese Culture Club, and Robert Bernhards at the studios.
The day kicks off at noon with a performance by award-winning duo 123 Andres.
The complete schedule is below:
Musical Performances & Remarks
- 12 p.m. — 123 Andrés
- 12:30 p.m. — Opening Remarks & Brick Dedication by Reston Museum Board Representative Chuck Veatch
- 12:33 p.m. — Remarks by community representatives
- 1:10 p.m. — Foley Irish Academy of Dance
- 1:50 p.m. — Reston Chorale
- 2:10 p.m. — Reston Community Orchestra Brass Ensemble
- 2:50 p.m. — Lopez Studios
- 3:30 p.m. — Reston Community Players
Schedule of events at Reston Community Center
- 1-1:50 p.m. — Multilingual Birthday Party: enjoy cake and learn birthday phrases in other languages.
- 2-3 p.m. — Community is what it is all about: an ode to Lake Anne book launch with the book creators Cheryl Terio-Simon and Eric MacDicken
- 3-4 p.m. — Film Series about Reston and Reston’s Public Art:
- “Fun, Beauty, Fantasy: Reston’s Public Art” by Rebekah Wingert-Jabi
- Fonseca Film Project by Ryan Burke
- “Moon Viewing Platform” by by Raphael Chambers (2nd Place winner of the “My Community” video contest celebrating the 50th anniversary of the founding of Reston)
- “If You Lived Here: Reston” by PBS
The annual Founder’s Day celebration is presented by the Reston Historic Trust with support from Reston Community Center. It is co-sponsored by Reston Association and Public Art Reston.
Reston Association is approaching a crossroads in its project to convert tennis courts at Barton Hill into pickleball courts. The organization is now considering two potential designs for the facility…
Drivers will now have to pay more if they exceed the speed limit on Linway Terrace in McLean. The Fairfax County Board of Supervisors gave its support yesterday (Tuesday) to…
The owner of a local “exotic” snack shop has been arrested as part of a drug ring investigation by county police. Last week, the Fairfax County Police Department announced it…
1st Stage, Tysons’ premier theatre company, is proud to announce its upcoming production of The Chosen. Based on Chaim Potok’s acclaimed novel, this captivating play explores the powerful themes of friendship,…
If you have been thinking about buying your first home or haven’t owned one in the last three years, THIS IS FOR YOU!
In the DMV area, it can be difficult to save the downpayment necessary for you to get into your own home. We have a solution. The Funder’s Summit!
We have assembled a summit with different municipalities to tell you how to access their funds for your home purchase.
Our local therapy practice is delighted to welcome Stacey Cali, Resident in Counseling, who has openings now for new clients. Stacey specializes in therapy for women, couples, teens and families. A graduate of George Mason University’s Clinical Mental Health Counseling Masters Program, Stacey is also passionate about working with people with addiction.
Stacey’s approach: “Therapy’s a powerful combination of reflection, support and action. You’ll find sessions are filled with empowerment, compassion, goal setting and a metaphorical shovel to dig deep to find the root of your difficulties and how to move past them.”
Adds Stacey, “As a therapist who works with women, teens, couples and families, I use a personalized style of counseling, tailored to you as an individual. You’re the expert in your life, I’m just here to guide you towards transformation and healing.”
Workshops on: ~ Meditation ~ Intro to Tarot: The Aces and Major Arcana
~ Ageless Aging ~ Past Life Regression ~ Animal Communication and Healing
~ Psychometry ~ Spiritual Healing ~ Self Soul Love ~ Consciously Clearing Clutter ~ Awareness/Mindfulness/Consciousness.