Vienna was shaken on Saturday (April 16) when a fire tore through a house that has stood in the town for more than a century.
Units from the Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department were called to the 100 block of Park Street NE around 4:28 a.m. for a house fire.
The fire started on the house’s second floor, caused by “spontaneous combustion of home improvement materials such as sawdust, floor stain cans and rags,” the FCFRD reported today (Monday).
According to the fire department, units could see fire through the second-floor windows upon arrival and requested a second alarm due to the volume of the fire and unknown number and status of any occupants. The City of Fairfax Fire Department assisted in the response:
Crews located one occupant and assisted him in evacuating. A combination of an initial exterior attack on the fire, which quickly transitioned to an interior attack, brought the fire under control. One occupant was transported to hospital for a check-up. There were no reported firefighter injuries.
One occupant was home at the time of the fire. The occupant was awakened and assisted with evacuating the structure by fire department personnel. The smoke alarms sounded but the occupant could not hear them.
By noon, the house at 135 Park Street NE was cordoned off by yellow “caution” tape. The fire had taken out the second-floor windows and left a gaping hole in the metal roof near a brick chimney, but the foundation and first floor still appeared intact.
According to Fairfax County property records, the house was originally built on a 15,124-square-foot lot in 1900 and underwent a remodel in 1974. The two-story building has eight bedrooms, five full bathrooms, a third of a basement, and two fireplaces.
The fire department reported that the house’s occupant was displaced by the fire, which resulted in approximately $513,500 in damages. The residence was sold in December for $900,500, county property records indicate.
Around 4:30 a.m., units responded to a house fire the 100 block of Park Street NE in Vienna. Heavy fire on arrival. Second Alarm was requested. One occupant rescued. Transported to hospital with non-life-threatening injuries. #FCFRD pic.twitter.com/u8XtvwADeq
— Fairfax County Fire/Rescue (@ffxfirerescue) April 16, 2022
(Updated at 4:05 p.m.) Fairfax County is looking to charge up a new electric vehicle charging station program and pilot it in Reston. At last week’s Transportation Committee meeting, the…
CMX CinéBistro has now taken its Tysons Galleria premiere off the release calendar. Initially set to launch in September, the dine-in movie theater later announced that its grand opening would…
Fairfax County is going back to the drawing board for the names of its proposed Richmond Highway bus rapid transit (BRT) stations. The Fairfax County Department of Transportation says it…
Reno of the Month is back with Part 2 of design elements that are dating your home.
Looking for a more convenient way to work out?
On the Go Fitness Pro offers in home personal training. We bring the gym to you, so you can save time and skip the hassle of going to the gym. Plus, our trainers are certified and experienced, so you can be sure you’re getting the best possible workout.
We provide all the equipment needed for a great workout or we can use the equipment that you have.
Are you tired of going to the gym? It might be the crowds, the locker room, waiting on equipment or the time it takes to commute to the gym.
Having a personal trainer come to your home will keep you accountable, save you time and allow you to workout in the comfort of your own home.
Skip the hassle of the gym and try our in-home personal training service.
Our services are reasonably priced, convenient, effective and are risk free.
The McLean Volunteer Fire Department has teamed up with Inova Blood Donor Services to hold a blood drive on Tuesday, Oct. 11, from 1 pm to 5 pm.
Due to the COVID-19 public health crisis, blood supplies within our community