News

Ceiling exhaust fanned fire in West Falls Church house

Fairfax County Fire and Rescue units respond to a basement fire in the 7000 block of Lee Park Court (via FCFRD/M. Clark)

Four people have been displaced after a ceiling exhaust fan started a fire at a house in the West Falls Church area, the Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department reported today (Monday).

With the assistance of firefighters from Arlington County, Fairfax County units were dispatched to the 7000 block of Lee Park Court around 1:28 p.m. on Thursday (April 21) for a fire in a one-story, single-family house.

According to the FCFRD, crews spotted smoke emerging from a basement window upon their arrival and were able to quickly extinguish the fire:

There was no extension of the fire to first floor. There were no reported civilian or firefighter injuries.

No occupants were home at the time of the fire. The homeowner discovered the fire when she returned home and saw smoke coming from the house. She then called 9-1-1. There were no working smoke alarms in the house.

Investigators later determined that a ceiling exhaust fan in the house’s basement bathroom caused an electrical event that ignited the fire, which has been ruled accidental in nature.

While there were no reported injuries, the fire caused approximately $56,250 in property damages.