Memorial Day weekend is upon us. While there will be plenty of activities to keep Fairfax County occupied, the holiday also means closures and schedule changes on Monday (May 30) for many public facilities.
- All Fairfax County Public Schools and offices will be closed for the holiday, with classes resuming on Tuesday (May 31).
Fairfax County offices and facilities
- Fairfax County government offices, courts, and libraries will be closed.
- All Neighborhood and Community Services buildings, including the community, senior, and teen centers, will be closed Saturday (May 28) through Monday.
- The McLean Community Center will be closed on Memorial Day.
- Reston Community Center at Lake Anne will be closed, but the Hunters Woods facility will operate from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Fairfax County parks
- All county rec centers will be open as usual until 6 p.m., except for the George Washington Rec Center.
- Colvin Run Mill and the Sully Historic Site will be closed.
- The E.C. Lawrence, Hidden Oaks, Hidden Pond and Huntley Meadows nature centers will be open from noon to 5 p.m.
- Riverbend Park’s visitor center will be open from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Frying Pan Farm Park’s farm and indoor arena will be open from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., but the visitor center will be closed.
- Green Spring Gardens will open its horticultural center between noon and 4:30 p.m., but the historic house will be closed.
- Fairfax Connector buses will operate on a Sunday service schedule on Monday.
- Fairfax CUE will operate according to its usual Saturday schedule.
- Metrorail will open at 7 a.m. and run until midnight, but service on the Orange Line will be affected throughout the weekend by the start of construction on platform improvements at five stations in D.C.
- Metrobus will follow a Sunday schedule.
County trash and recycling
- The Department of Public Works and Environmental Services doesn’t list any impacts to trash and recycling collections for county customers, but those who get service from a private company are advised to contact them directly.
- DPWES administrative offices will close.
- The recycling and disposal centers at the I-66 Transfer Station and I-95 Landfill Complex will be open.
Town of Herndon
- Town offices and the Herndon Community Center will be closed on Monday.
- Recycling typically collected on Mondays will be picked up on Tuesday instead.
- The Herndon Centennial Golf Course will be open from 6 a.m. to 8 p.m.
Town of Vienna
- Town offices will be closed.
- The Vienna Community Center will have more limited hours, operating from 10 a.m.-8 p.m. on Sunday (May 29) and 10 a.m.-6 p.m. on Monday.
A dog was chained up and shot this morning in the residential neighborhood behind the Woodlawn Shopping Center in Mount Vernon, police say. Officers responded to the area of Bedford…
The Rotary Club of McLean will peer back into the colonial era this weekend for its 11th annual chocolate festival. Set to return this Sunday (Jan. 29), the McLean Chocolate…
The Herndon Festival will return this year in the summer, bringing back a tradition that was scaled back to a carnival last year. The festival is set to take place…
Fairfax County is again asking the state for money to offset anticipated reductions in resident vehicle tax payments. At a meeting on Tuesday (Jan. 24), the Board of Supervisors unanimously…
Linjee Thai Restaurant Virginia Alcohol Beverage Control Publishing Notice.
Hi, my name is Moneim Z., and I am a blind male with chronic kidney disease, who needs a living kidney donor for a transplant. My blood type is B+, and I can accept a kidney from individuals who have blood types B and O.
To read my story, please see the attached letter.
To contact me directly, please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org or call at 571-428-5065. My living donor coordinator at INOVA Hospital, Amileen Cruz can be reached at (703) 776-8370 , or via email at email@example.com.