Laura Schwartz is a licensed Realtor in VA, D.C. and MD with McEnearney Associates in Vienna. You can follow Laura on Instagram at @LauraSchwartzRealtor or her Facebook page. Laura can be reached at 703-283-6120 or Laura@GuidingYourMove.com.
There are so many home maintenance checklists out there, compiled of stuff nobody actually does.
I’ve been through more home inspections than I care to remember so I’ve seen the dirty secrets people hide when it comes to taking care of your home. If you’re looking for a list of stuff you should actually do, here’s my list. I do them all on my own home, so this is definitely something I stand behind.
- Wash your windows inside and out, all ledges and screens. I call E&R Services for my own home.
- Check your chimney to make sure you still have a cap. Many times people don’t notice if the wind takes it away, but it keeps the elements and animals out of your chimney. It should look like a metal mushroom at the top.
- Change your filters — HVAC, fridge water filter, microwave or hood vents, etc.
- Power wash any surface that is now green. Consider sealing your deck or any other stripped or rotted paint. Rotting wood attracts termites and other insects and could get worse.
- Clean out your gutters and downspouts if you haven’t from the spring. The fall will bring more rain and more falling leaves, so beat the issue of clogged gutters!
- Clean your dryer vent!
- Get rid of any empty or old propane tanks. They serve no purpose if they’re empty.
- Check for tree roots — if you see cracks in your driveway (raised ones, not just hairline cracks), or similar cracks in your walk way, you’ll want to have them checked out. Tree roots can cause foundation damage and continue to grow.
- If you plan to do any lawn care, consider getting estimates now for the early fall if you want to aerate it.
- Check your sump pump. We get a lot of rain in Northern Virginia during the summer and prevention is the #1 thing you can do when it comes to your foundation. Check your drainage when it rains. If the water is pooling in one spot, you’ll know where your issues are.
Small things like this have big rewards in the long run. You can avoid larger home maintenance repair bills by staying on top of regular routine check ups.
A 5 BD/3.5 BA brick home with a stone gas fireplace and garden patio is included in Open Houses.
The weekend is almost here. Before the remnants of Hurricane Ian arrive or you head to bed for some much-needed sleep, let’s revisit the past week of news in Fairfax…
One of the oldest neighborhoods in southeastern Fairfax County is holding its birthday party this weekend, despite the likelihood of rain. Jefferson Manor near Groveton is celebrating its 75th birthday…
The general public’s last chance to weigh in on Fairfax County’s ongoing study of the bicycle and pedestrian network in the West Falls Church Metro station area will come later…
Are you tired of going to the gym? It might be the crowds, the locker room, waiting on equipment or the time it takes to commute to the gym.
Having a personal trainer come to your home will keep you accountable, save you time and allow you to workout in the comfort of your own home.
Skip the hassle of the gym and try our in-home personal training service.
Our services are reasonably priced, convenient, effective and are risk free.
Ending your marriage and living in the shadows of its pain is one thing, but when children (2 and 4 legged ones) are involved it’s not only about you. Divorce Mediation is the way to resolve the past and establish a solid, cooperative foundation to reorganize the relationship with your former partner. Everyone involved will benefit and you will gain peace-of-mind. Divorce Mediation is the cost effective way to negotiate your divorce and sign a Separation Agreement that is equitable and fair.
Walid Jawad will facilitate the divorce process in a calm and thoughtful manner to help you establish the foundation for your next phase in life. Walid’s 5-Star google reviews is a testament to his dedication to limiting divorcing couples’ stress during this intense transitional period.
Mediate your divorce virtually from the convenience of your kitchen table for $1,200 and save yourself the average Virginia cost of $15,000 per divorce and $22,000 with children. Make a complimentary appointment with Walid at Aether Mediation here: www.aethermediation.com
Join us on Saturday, October 15, 2022, from 1 pm to 3 pm where it all began in 2012 at the Hartke Building parking lot. We coalesced around a common vision, and purpose and have moved forward with unwavering community