News

Ashes start Wolf Trap house fire that displaced five people

Fairfax County firefighters respond to a house fire in the 1700 block of Fox Run Court in Wolf Trap (via FCFRD)

Five Wolf Trap residents lost their home, at least temporarily, due to a large fire on Tuesday (Oct. 11).

Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department units were dispatched to the 1700 block of Fox Run Court at 4:35 p.m. after a neighbor in the area noticed smoke and fire on a house’s exterior, prompting them to call 911, according to a report¬†published yesterday (Wednesday).

“Prior to arrival on scene, several units noted a large column of smoke in the general area,” the fire department said. “Units arrived on the scene of a two-story, single-family home with heavy fire from the rear and one side of the house.”

No one was home when the fire started outside the house, accidentally ignited by fire pit ashes that had been “improperly discarded,” FCFRD said. Firefighters got the blaze under control in about 15 minutes, and no related injuries have been reported.

However, the house’s five occupants were displaced, and the fire resulted in approximately $293,750 in property damages.