News

Reston apartment fire caused by discarded smoking material

The Reston fire was caused by improperly discarded smoking materials (via Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department)

Improperly discarded smoking material was flagged as the cause of a fire in a Reston home on Friday (Feb. 10).

Shortly after 1:20 a.m., Fairfax County Fire and Rescue crews tackled a fire at the three-story apartment-style building at the 11500 block of Stoneview Square.

The fire was mostly contained in the outside of the balcony. Three residents were at home at the time of the fire. One resident heard a loud popping sound from the kitchen area and attempted to extinguish the fire.

After an unsuccessful attempt, the residents evacuated from the building before the fire department arrived.

The fire caused roughly $20,000 in damages.

Fire investigators say the fire was accidental in nature and stated in the balcony. The improperly discarded smoking material spread to nearby combustibles.