Live Fairfax is a bi-weekly column exploring Fairfax County. This recurring column is sponsored and written by Sharmane Medaris of McEnearney Associates. Questions? Reach Sharmane at 813-504-4479.
Spring is here and summer is coming soon so it’s time for some family fun!
If you’re looking for a quick and exciting day trip from Fairfax County, look no further! Pack up the car, grab the family, and get ready for some adventures.
- Shenandoah National Park — A little more than an hour’s drive from Fairfax County, Shenandoah National Park is a fantastic place to spend the day. Take a scenic drive along Skyline Drive and stop at one of the many overlooks for breathtaking views of the mountains. The park also offers hiking trails for all levels, picnicking areas, and ranger-led programs for kids.
- Harpers Ferry National Historical Park — Located about an hour and a half from Fairfax County, Harpers Ferry, West Virginia is a town with a rich history. It’s where John Brown led a raid on a federal armory in 1859, an event that is considered a spark for the Civil War. Visitors can take a guided tour of the town, hike the nearby trails, or go tubing or rafting on the Potomac and Shenandoah rivers.
- National Aquarium — For families who love marine life, the National Aquarium in Baltimore is a must-visit destination. It’s a two-hour drive from Fairfax County, but it’s worth the trip. The aquarium has over 20,000 animals representing more than 800 species. Highlights include a dolphin show, a rainforest exhibit, and a shark tank.
- Luray Caverns — Luray Caverns, located in the Shenandoah Valley, is a natural wonder that’s sure to impress the whole family. The caverns are more than 4,000 years old and are filled with stalactites, stalagmites, and other formations. Visitors can take a guided tour, go gem mining, or explore the maze and garden.
- Kings Dominion — Located in Doswell, this amusement park has something for everyone! From thrill rides to water attractions, this park is sure to be a hit with the whole family. Be sure to check out the family-friendly Planet Snoopy section for the little ones.
There you have it, friends, 5 Family-Friendly Day Trips that are sure to make your spring and summer memorable.
Explore Fairfax with Sharmane Medaris of McEnearney.
Sharmane Medaris | Live Fairfax | www.soldbysharmane.com | Sharmane@mcenearney.com | @soldbysharmane | 813-504-4479 | 374 Maple Avenue Suite 202, Vienna, VA 22180
Good Monday evening! Today we published 1 articles that were read a total of 1694 times on FFXnow alone, so far. 📈 Top stories The following are the most-read articles…
(Updated at 6:35 p.m.) Two people have died, and two more have been hospitalized in an apparent shooting and stabbing at the Tysons View Apartments in Idylwood. A 20-year-old man…
Good Friday evening! Today we published 6 articles that were read a total of 10172 times on FFXnow alone, so far. 📈 Top stories The following are the most-read articles…
The Faraday Park neighborhood has officially welcomed another tenant: Eve’s Garden Lounge and Bar. The Asian fusion restaurant celebrated its soft opening on Friday, May 12 at 11207 Reston Station…
Are you seeking a confidential space where you can explore your emotions, overcome challenges, and find inner peace? Look no further than our dedicated psychotherapy service! We understand that life can be overwhelming at times, and we’re here to support you every step of the way.
At Peaceful Mind Solutions, our passion lies in helping individuals like you navigate life’s complexities and find the strength to thrive. Our skilled and compassionate therapist is committed to creating a warm, non-judgmental environment where you can express your thoughts and feelings openly. With our personalized approach, we tailor each session to address your unique needs and empower you to overcome obstacles.
Through evidence-based techniques and a deep understanding of the human mind, our therapist will guide you on a transformative journey of self-discovery. Whether you’re dealing with anxiety, depression, relationship issues, or simply seeking personal growth, we’re here to provide guidance and practical tools for lasting change.
VHC Health hosted its annual Trauma Survivors Day, honoring four former trauma patients and their care team on Tuesday, May 16. For many of these patient honorees, this event was the first time they were reunited with the team of healthcare professionals who cared for them after their injury. Both the healthcare team and the honorees expressed gratitude for the opportunity to thank, hug, and simply see one another again after their experience in the Trauma Center.
In May of 2021, the Commonwealth of Virginia designated VHC Health as a Level II Trauma Center. This designation filled a critical community need; previously, the closest trauma center for Arlington County was in Fairfax or Washington, DC. Since becoming a Level II Trauma Center, VHC Health has provided care for nearly 2,000 trauma patients each year.
Charity Live Music Concert
Ukrainian Charity fundraiser concert at South County High School on June 13, 2023.
All proceeds will go toward Ukrainian funds “Mriya Charity” and “Dai Lapu Drug”, that help kids and animals affected by war.
The concert will include performances by
Active Bystander: TECC Training
For any incident, like the Las Vegas massacre to the Boston Marathon bombings, citizens play a role in saving lives in the minutes following an attack. It is imperative that we provide the knowledge and skills necessary to help our