News

Grill grease behind McLean house fire that displaced four people

Fairfax County Fire and Rescue responds to a house fire in the 6000 block of Chesterbrook Road in McLean (via FCFRD)

Four McLean residents lost their home last week in a fire that investigators say was ignited by grease on an outdoor grill.

The fire started accidentally in the 6000 block of Chesterbrook Road on June 2 when grease that had accumulated on the back patio grill ignited, the Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department reported yesterday (Thursday).

FCFRD firefighters and units from the Arlington County Fire Department were dispatched to the single-family house at 6:24 p.m. after the residents evacuated and called 911.

“Units arrived on the scene to find a large volume of fire coming from the back of a two-story, single-family home and extending up to the attic,” the department said. “Crews quickly initiated firefighting operations to contain and extinguish the fire.”

No injuries were reported, but in addition to displacing all four residents, the fire resulted in an estimated $483,060 in property damages, according to the FCFRD.

“Smoke alarms were present, but it is unknown if they activated after the fire extended to the house,” the fire department said.

Photo via FCFRD