Good Friday evening! Today we published 7 articles that were read a total of 7512 times on FFXnow alone, so far.
📈 Top stories
The following are the most-read articles for today (Jul 28, 2023)…
- Virginia Tech’s ‘otherworldly’ West Falls Church development approved despite height concerns
- Suspect arrested for robbing 66-year-old woman in Reston, police say
- FCPD: Man shoots mother and self in Seven Corners, hospitalizing both
Since it’s Friday, we’ve also compiled a list of the most-read articles of the week, below.
- Family-owned Lebanese restaurant closes for good in Vienna (11673 views)
- Fairfax County’s office vacancy rate is at a 10-year high, staff says (10601 views)
- What the Schnitzel, a food truck, will launch in Herndon this weekend (6367 views)
- As Tysons farmers market launches, Mosaic District’s plots expansion (5238 views)
- Planning Commission supports overhaul of Reston Comprehensive Plan (4453 views)
- Firing of police officer in fatal Tysons shooting upheld by court (3441 views)
- County board redirects funds to remove hills from Fairfax Station road where teens died in crash (2958 views)
- Plans are brewing again to redevelop Lake Anne’s Crescent property (2851 views)
- Police: Man fired gun in Bailey’s Crossroads bar, injuring women (2055 views)
📅 Upcoming events
Here is what’s going on Saturday in Fairfax County, from our event calendar.
- 10:30 am: Silas Burke House Tours
- 1:00 pm: Sea Turtles and “Wrightsville Beach”
- 7:30 pm: Gounod’s Faust
Here are the events planned for Sunday:
- 2:00 pm: Poetry Reading with Irene Mathieu
⛈️ Saturday’s forecast
Expect showers and thunderstorms after 2pm, with a high near 96 and a heat index reaching 104. West winds will be 6-11 mph, gusting up to 20 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60% with rain amounts between a quarter and half of an inch. Saturday night, storms are likely before 8pm, turning mostly cloudy and cooling to a low of 72. West winds of 5-10 mph will shift north in the evening. The 60% chance of precipitation brings rain amounts of a tenth to a quarter of an inch, with potentially higher amounts in thunderstorms. See more from Weather.gov.
🌅 Tonight’s sunset
We hope you have a great weekend! Feel free to discuss the most-read stories of the week, the upcoming weekend events or anything else of local interest in the comments. 👋
Virginia’s so-called “sore loser” law is supposed to ensure that when a candidate is defeated in a Republican or Democratic primary, they can’t drop their party affiliation and appear on…
Laura Schwartz is a licensed Realtor in VA and D.C. with McEnearney Associates in Vienna. You can follow Laura on Instagram at @LauraSchwartzRealtor or her Facebook page. Laura can be reached at 703-283-6120 or Laura@GuidingYourMove.com. I…
Electric buses have at last joined Northern Virginia’s largest local bus fleet. Fairfax Connector launched the eight battery-powered vehicles out of its West Ox Operations and Maintenance Center (4970 Alliance…
Reston Association’s Board of Directors has a new vacancy. Mike Collins — who represents apartment owners within RA’s membership — resigned Friday (Sept. 29). Collins, who also served as the…
Explore your creative side this fall at Art House 7 with our Fall 2 Session of art classes beginning October 30th. Whether you’re a budding artist or looking to unleash your artistic potential with something new, there’s a class for everyone!
Short and Drop-In Classes:
Dive into creativity with our short-term offerings, including a 3-week still-life painting course, a 3-week knitting class, a 5-week Painting the Portrait and Figure workshop led by acclaimed local artist Danni Dawson, and a mesmerizing 4-week exploration of Japanese Suminagashi and modern paper marbling. Plus, we have a drop-in class specially designed for parents and toddlers (2-4 years old) to introduce them to the world of art.
Public invited: “Fur-th Birthday” brunch celebration for Woofie’s of South Riding-Aldie, Sunday, October 8 at The Lazy Dog Restaurant & Bar
Woofie’s of South Riding-Aldie, providing premium mobile pet services throughout Aldie, Middleburg, South Riding is celebrating its fourth anniversary with expansion to Centreville and Chantilly and its fourth Woofie’s pet grooming van. The franchise, owned and operated by Loudoun County residents, husband/wife team Sebaot Gebre and Teferi Dejene, has grown by 900% since its first full year in business.
• Mobile pet spa grooming
• Dog walking
• Pet sitting
• In-home or overnight pet sitting
• Customizable services
We invite you to join us at STEAMOLOGY’s annual FREE STEM Fest for elementary and middle school students, taking place on Saturday, October 14th at South County High School, 8501 Silverbrook Rd, Lorton, VA 22079.
STEM Fest is an exciting