Laura Schwartz is a licensed Realtor in VA and D.C. with McEnearney Associates in Vienna. You can follow Laura on Instagram at @LauraSchwartzRealtor or her Facebook page. Laura can be reached at 703-283-6120 or Laura@GuidingYourMove.com.
It’s been a rough summer with the weather and the toll it’s taking on some houses.
Before it gets cold, now’s a good reminder to take care of some things around your house to prevent damage later. Service provider referrals are my favorite ways to help homeowners, so please feel free to reach out if you need someone specific:
- Clean your gutters (Gutterman Services, Maple Leaf)
- Change the batteries in your smoke detector (yes, even if it’s hard wired)
- Take care of your lawn — Fall is the time to aerate and fertilize if you want better grass next spring!
- Check your down spouts to make sure they’re extended away from your home
- Clean your chimney before you use it!
- Fall service on your HVAC (this should be done twice a year, but if you have a whole house humidifier which is used in the winter, make sure it’s clean and not moldy before you turn it on)
- Check your trees. I’ve seen lots of trees fall in the recent storms. I can’t stress this one enough — even if you think it’s leaning away from your home, get it checked.
- Check your windows and garage door for wood rot. Rain/snow will make it worse.
- Check your attic for any daylight — if you have even the smallest entry point, critters will find a way inside as the weather gets colder. You can look around for droppings or disrupted insulation for hints of unwanted tenants.
- Seal your deck. Stain or paint — your choice.
Take care of your home and it’ll take care of you!
The assessment fees that Reston Association members pay every year are expected to go up again in 2024, based on a newly proposed budget. To cover the actual costs of…
German-owned grocery chain Lidl is almost ready to unveil its brand-new location in the heart of Tysons. Next week, the chain is opening a new store in Pike 7 Plaza…
A Bailey’s Crossroads resident has been arrested after allegedly threatening violence at a church in Haymarket. Rui Jiang, 35, posted multiple “threatening” messages to his Instagram account on Sunday (Sept….
Get Prepared for Flu Season — “The Fairfax County Health Department is encouraging everyone six months and older to prepare for flu season by getting a flu vaccine and reminding…
If you have been thinking about buying your first home or haven’t owned one in the last three years, THIS IS FOR YOU!
In the DMV area, it can be difficult to save the downpayment necessary for you to get into your own home. We have a solution. The Funder’s Summit!
We have assembled a summit with different municipalities to tell you how to access their funds for your home purchase.
Our local therapy practice is delighted to welcome Stacey Cali, Resident in Counseling, who has openings now for new clients. Stacey specializes in therapy for women, couples, teens and families. A graduate of George Mason University’s Clinical Mental Health Counseling Masters Program, Stacey is also passionate about working with people with addiction.
Stacey’s approach: “Therapy’s a powerful combination of reflection, support and action. You’ll find sessions are filled with empowerment, compassion, goal setting and a metaphorical shovel to dig deep to find the root of your difficulties and how to move past them.”
Adds Stacey, “As a therapist who works with women, teens, couples and families, I use a personalized style of counseling, tailored to you as an individual. You’re the expert in your life, I’m just here to guide you towards transformation and healing.”
Celebrate Reston’s diverse and inspiring architecture on this self-guided tour of seven stunning properties. The Tour showcases spectacular homes, each transformed by its owners’ style. By capitalizing on Reston’s lush green space, many with lake views, these homes highlight what