Good Friday evening, Fairfax County. Let’s take a look back at today’s stories and a look forward to tomorrow’s event calendar.
🕗 News recap
The following articles were published earlier today — Nov 17, 2023.
- 8:15 am: Morning Notes | 🗣️ Comments
- 9:30 am: Reston gastrobar Pisco y Nazca to celebrate grand opening in December | 🗣️ Comments
- 10:15 am: Virginia Tech’s West Falls Church campus sold for redevelopment as construction hub | 🗣️ Comments
- 11:00 am: Fairfax County is exploring sites for a regional youth mental health facility | 🗣️ Comments
- 11:45 am: Oakton park, rec center no longer ‘Marr-ed’ by Confederacy-linked name | 🗣️ Comments
- 1:15 pm: Tysons-based Hilton named world’s best workplace in annual Fortune ranking | 🗣️ Comments
- 2:30 pm: Reston Holiday Parade nominated for poll to decide top 10 parades in U.S. | 🗣️ Comments
Since it’s Friday, we’ve also compiled a list of the most-read articles of the week, below.
- Construction of triple roundabouts coming soon to Fairfax County Parkway (25617 views)
- French bistro Mon Ami Gabi to close Reston location by year’s end (7632 views)
- Firebirds Wood Fired Grill to open first Fairfax County restaurant next year (3532 views)
- Fairfax County and Virginia leaders call for investigation into FBI HQ site selection (3174 views)
- Teens arrested after gunshots heard in Rose Hill McDonald’s (2539 views)
- The Casual Pint to open near Dunn Loring Metro station tomorrow (1980 views)
- Report: D.C. Chinatown food hall plans expansion to Tysons (1955 views)
- Old Town Fairfax buildings to be razed soon for mixed-use condo development (1727 views)
- Ice Cream Jubilee eyes April opening in Reston Town Center (1600 views)
📅 Upcoming events
Here is what’s going on Saturday throughout the county, from our event calendar.
- 11:00 am: Turkey Hunt at Founders Row
- 2:00 pm: I.S. Berry book signing
- 5:00 pm: Embrace Your Colors—Experience Art in its Diverse Forms
- 8:00 pm: Fairfax Symphony Orchestra with Renée Fleming
Here are the events planned for Sunday:
- 10:00 am: Kitty Yoga
- 4:00 pm: B – The Underwater Bubble Show
- 7:00 pm: Professional Touring Artist Negin Farsad
☀️ Saturday’s forecast
The weather will transition from partly sunny to fully sunny with a high temperature close to 57°F. Winds will blow from the northwest at 11-14 mph, and gusts may reach up to 25 mph. For Saturday night, expect clear skies and a low temperature around 35°F, with a northwest wind blowing at 7-10 mph. See more from Weather.gov.
🌅 Tonight’s sunset
We hope you have a great weekend, Arlington! Feel free to discuss the most-read stories of the week, the upcoming weekend events or anything else of local interest in the comments. 👋
A plan to redevelop the site of the Franconia Governmental Center into an affordable housing development won’t move forward until the new year. At a meeting last Tuesday (Dec. 5),…
One of the Town of Herndon’s staple events is officially no more. The Herndon Festival has been canceled for good, the town’s parks and recreation department announced today (Monday). In…
A car wash site on Route 7 in Tysons is ready to roll with a fresh coat of paint and a new company in charge.
Mr Wash Car Wash began operating at 8218 Leesburg Pike on Thursday (Dec. 7), replacing the long-standing Champion Hand Car Wash.
Neighborhood Expert gives a recap of the Vienna Community Power Pack Event that provides weekend meals for students experiencing food insecurity.
The Georgetown Visitation Masqueraders proudly present
Descendants The Musical
Art House 7 warmly welcomes you to our upcoming Fall 2 session of classes starting on October 30th. We’re thrilled to offer a diverse range of mediums and flexible class lengths, catering to a wide age range, starting from as young as 2, and, of course, providing a multitude of engaging options for adults!
Our classes cover an exciting spectrum of creative mediums, including fiber arts such as knitting, modern embroidery, crochet, and sewing. We also offer classes in ceramics on the wheel, drawing, watercolor, gouache, oil, acrylic, still-life painting, and captivating Japanese Suminagashi and printmaking. One of the highlights of this session is the highly anticipated 5-week “Painting the Portrait and Figure” workshop, led by the renowned local artist, Danni Dawson.
For our younger artists, we have specially designed classes like “Art Exploration through Impressionism” for students in kindergarten through 5th grade, an engaging “Art Together” parent-child class designed for 2–4-year-olds, and a “Teen Taught Art Club” tailored for kindergarteners through 4th graders.