Good Friday evening, Fairfax County. Let’s take a look back at today’s stories and a look forward to tomorrow’s event calendar.
🕗 News recap
The following articles were published earlier today — Jan 5, 2024.
- 8:15 am: Morning Notes | 🗣️ Comments
- 9:30 am: GW Parkway construction to shift traffic to southbound lanes in McLean area | 🗣️ Comments
- 11:00 am: Reston Association urges members to fight expected casino bill | 🗣️ Comments
- 1:30 pm: TGI Fridays closes Springfield restaurant for good | 🗣️ Comments
- 2:15 pm: NEW: Winter Weather Advisory issued for Fairfax County ahead of storm | 🗣️ Comments
- 3:30 pm: Jersey Mike’s Subs and another Starbucks appear to be coming to Kingstowne | 🗣️ Comments
Since it’s Friday, we’ve also compiled a list of the most-read articles of the week, below.
- Woman ordered to stop building ‘secret’ tunnel under her house by Town of Herndon (12530 views)
- Plan for mixed-use development at AT&T’s Oakton campus seeks county review (6392 views)
- Driver dies after two multi-vehicle, ‘chain reaction’ crashes on I-66 (5888 views)
- Developer details plan to replace ICF office buildings in Oakton with housing (3559 views)
- Police investigate after Beltway driver finds bullet hole in vehicle (3534 views)
- Fairfax County nears vote to permanently allow temporary outdoor dining (3204 views)
- Officials discuss future of Vienna tap water service — possibly leading to Fairfax Water takeover (2291 views)
- An incoming Virginia delegate wants to expand use of speed cameras (1857 views)
- Compass Coffee aims to open West Falls Church cafe in the spring (1758 views)
📅 Upcoming events
Here is what’s going on Saturday throughout the county, from our event calendar.
- 9:00 am: $14.99 Weekend Haircut Sale
- 👉 12:00 pm: New Year, New Baby?
- 1:00 pm: Opening Reception: Winter Show at Craft Gallery of Artisans United
🌧️ Saturday’s forecast
Expect a mix of rain, snow, freezing rain, and sleet before noon, transitioning to rain after 1pm with possible snow between noon and 1pm. The high will be near 36°F with southeast wind shifting to northeast later. Precipitation is certain, but ice accumulation will be minimal and snow/sleet less than half an inch. Saturday night, rain is likely before 10pm, followed by mostly cloudy conditions and a low around 32°F. Northwest wind will blow at 7 to 9 mph, and precipitation has a 60% chance, with new amounts between a tenth and a quarter of an inch possible. See more from Weather.gov.
🌅 Tonight’s sunset
We hope you have a great weekend! Feel free to discuss the most-read stories of the week, the upcoming weekend events or anything else of local interest in the comments. 👋
Friday night’s performance by comedian Nate Bargatze is expected to draw the largest crowd ever to EagleBank Arena on the Fairfax campus of George Mason University, according to Monumental Sports…
Reston Association has adopted a new strategic plan that aims to continue the vision of Reston’s founder Bob Simon over the next three years.
A 93-year-old woman died earlier this week from injuries she sustained in a car crash on Leesburg Pike (Route 7) in Bailey’s Crossroads, police say. Gladys Bilbao, a Falls Church…
D.C.-based fast food chain Z-Burger has officially opened in a former Pizza Hut at 541 Maple Avenue West in Vienna. The restaurant opened in late November. While business was initially…
Great Clips at South Lakes Village Center (Reston, Virginia) is seeking hair donors to participate in the Wigs for Kids program this Valentines Week. If you meet the minimum requirements and would like to donate your hair for children fighting cancer, we would love to host you in our salon this Valentine’s Week for a free haircut.
Hair donations must be a minimum of 12 inches
Hair donations must be clean and stored/packaged completely dry.
Hair donations cannot be permed, color-treated, or highlighted.
Temporary coloring or highlights that wash out are acceptable but must be completely washed out before cutting. Gray hair is accepted.
Peace in Gaza: Prayer Liturgy and Community Discussion for Peace in Arlington VA, Sunday, Feb. 11, 10:15 AM
Prayer, liturgy, and community discussion for peace in Gaza, an immediate cease fire and resumption of humanitarian aid will be hosted by Nova Catholic Community. The focus will be Pope Francis’ call for an immediate ceasefire, the release of all hostages, resumption of humanitarian aid for Palestinians in Gaza, and peace talks for a lasting and just peace for all people in the region.
Discussion will follow at Noon on US military role in the conflict and appropriate steps the US should take to foster peace and rebuilding. Light lunch served.
The Tactical Emergency Casualty Care (TECC) Active Bystander Certification course, also known as Active Bystander, is the premier training program to prepare civilians for how to respond during an intentional violent event and to address life-threatening emergencies.
Similar to FEMA’s