With New Year’s Day arriving this Saturday, many Fairfax County government facilities and services will be taking tomorrow (Friday) off.
Here is a breakdown of the county’s schedule for the New Year’s holiday:
County Government Offices
- Most offices will be closed throughout the day on New Year’s Eve.
Fairfax County Public Schools
- Schools remain closed for the winter break. Classes are scheduled to resume on Monday (Jan. 3).
- The Gatehouse Administrative Center is hosting a drive-through diagnostic testing site from noon to 4 p.m. today (Thursday) and tomorrow. Students should be registered online in advance.
Fairfax County Public Library
- All branches will be closed on both New Year’s Eve and New Year’s Day.
- The Fairfax County Circuit Court and General District Court will observe the New Year’s holiday by closing both today (Thursday) and tomorrow.
- The Juvenile and Domestic Relations Court is open today, but it will be closed for New Year’s Eve.
County Parks and Recreation Centers
- All parks and RECenters will be closed on New Year’s Day.
- On New Year’s Eve, all RECenters will be open from 5 a.m. to 4 p.m. except for the George Washington Rec Center in Alexandria, which will be closed. The Sully Historic Site will be open from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m., but otherwise, local park facilities will be closed.
Community and Senior Centers
- All Neighborhood and Community Services facilities will be closed from Friday through Sunday (Jan. 2).
- The Cathy Hudgins Community Center at Southgate has modified hours today, closing at 5 p.m. instead of 8 p.m.
- The Pimmit Hills Senior Center is already closed until Jan. 3, and as of Tuesday (Dec. 28), the South County senior and teen centers have been closed until further notice “due to COVID-19 conditions,” according to the website.
- The McLean and Reston community centers are both closed for New Year’s Eve and Day.
Trash and Recycling
- Fairfax County’s trash and recycling collection schedule will not be affected on New Year’s Eve, though residents who use private haulers should contact those companies directly.
- The Department of Public Works and Environmental Services will close its administrative office starting tomorrow, reopening at 7:30 a.m. on Monday.
- The I-66 Transfer Station and I-95 Landfill Complex will close at 2 p.m. tomorrow and remain closed through New Year’s Day.
- Fairfax Connector will follow a Saturday service schedule tomorrow and Saturday. See the website for details about what routes will be available.
- FASTRAN shuttles will not operate on New Year’s Eve or Day.
- For New Year’s Eve, Metrorail will start service two hours later than a standard weekday, operating from 7 a.m. to 1 a.m. On New Year’s Day, trains will run from 7 a.m. to midnight.
- Metrobus will use a Sunday schedule for New Year’s Eve before following its typical Saturday schedule on New Year’s Day.
Photo via Moritz Knöringer/Unsplash
Pickleball courts may be in store for a warehouse on Tyco Road, a still-industrial section of the Tysons West neighborhood. A new commercial building permit application was submitted to Fairfax…
Laura Schwartz is a licensed Realtor in VA, D.C. and MD with McEnearney Associates in Vienna. You can follow Laura on Instagram at @LauraSchwartzRealtor or her Facebook page. Laura can be reached at 703-283-6120 or Laura@GuidingYourMove.com. If…
Fairfax County’s child welfare system has seen abuse and neglect cases surge over the past year, taxing the dozens of volunteers charged with advocating for those children in foster care…
Another race is in the mix of Reston’s racing options: the Women’s Training Festival 5K. On June 25 at 9 a.m., women will take part in the event, which is…
Potomac Harmony Chorus has a new director! We’re ready
to kick off the season with new music, a new approach, and YOU!
Potomac Harmony is one of 500 choruses in Sweet
Adelines International. We’re a vibrant,
contemporary, inclusive, welcoming, and open community of women singers who
perform four-part harmony, barbershop style, committed to a high level of
achievement through teaching, mentoring, personal growth, and performance. Our vision is to entertain, educate, and
enrich lives through musical expression while promoting the barbershop art
Potomac Harmony recently had our first performance
with our new director, receiving rave reviews! We invite you to stop by any Wednesday
evening and be part of the fun and harmony!
The Dragons Concord is now open at 11215L Lee Highway, Fairfax, VA 22030! After some delays with construction, we’ve finally opened our doors and are accepting tabletop gamers of all types to come down and enjoy our tailored gaming space.
We have 7 tables exclusively dedicated to TTRPG and Miniature wargaming, including 3 custom gaming tables in their own private, themed gaming rooms. This isn’t the normal game store and while we do have a selection of harder to find retail in the back, our focus is on providing play space and gaming services such as an active roster of storytellers with regular scheduled games you can book through our website or Meetup (www.meetup.com/dragons-concord-gaming).
If you’ve been wanting to get into tabletop or miniature gaming, but haven’t because you couldn’t find a group or a comfortable place to play, come down and check us out!
Army Birthday Festival – Free and Fun
Make Saturday, June 10, 2023 a great day!
Come celebrate the Army Birthday Festival at the National Museum of the U.S. Army from 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. Rain or Shine!
• Experience outdoor and indoor fun activities, for all
Unveiling of West Ford historical highway marker
Gum Springs will be celebrating 190 years of its founding by freedman West Ford on Saturday, June 17, 2023. To kick-off the celebration, there will be an unveiling of a Virginia historical highway marker for West Ford on Fordson Road