Presidents Day is Monday (Feb. 21), and the federal holiday — which is technically called Washington’s Birthday — will bring some noteworthy closings and schedule changes.
Banks, post offices, state offices:
- Post offices will be closed.
- Most banks will be closed. TD Bank will be open.
- State government services are generally closed, such as DMV centers.
County libraries, recreation centers, parks:
- All Fairfax County library branches will be closed.
- All Fairfax County Rec Centers will operate at their regular hours.
- Colvin Run Mill and Sully Historic Site will be closed.
- The E.C. Lawrence, Hidden Oaks, Hidden Pond and Huntley Meadows nature centers as well as the Riverbend Park visitor center will be open from noon until 4 p.m.
- The McLean Community Center will be closed.
- Reston Community Center Hunters Woods will be open from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m., but the Lake Anne facility will be closed.
- Fairfax Connector buses will operate on a holiday weekday service plan. Check here for operating routes.
- Fairfax CUE service will operate on a modified weekday service.
- WMATA Metrorail service will operate on a “Saturday Supplemental” schedule from 5 a.m. until midnight on Presidents Day. On the weekend leading up to the holiday, it will run from 7 a.m. Saturday to 1 a.m. Sunday and 5 a.m. Sunday through midnight.
- WMATA Metrobus will operate on a Saturday service schedule for the holiday.
Fairfax County government:
- County government offices will be closed.
- Courts will be closed.
County trash and recycling:
- There will be no change in the county’s trash and recycling collection, but private haulers may have different schedules.
- County Public Works and Environmental Services administrative offices will closed.
- The recycling and disposal centers at the I-66 Transfer Station and I-95 Landfill Complex will be open.
Town of Herndon recreation and services:
- The Herndon Community Center will be open from 7 a.m. to 9 p.m.
- The Town of Herndon will collect recycling.
Town of Vienna:
Join the Schar School Virtual Open House June 8 and enroll for fall semester before registration ends July 15.
Memorial Day weekend is almost here. Before you start planning how to spend the holiday or head to bed for some much-needed sleep, let’s revisit the past week of news in…
(Updated at 3:40 p.m.) While the weather has died down for now, almost 800 people in Fairfax County lost electricity when a thunderstorm passed through the D.C. region this morning,…
With summer on the horizon, visitors are expected to flock to Scott’s Run Nature Preserve in McLean, but the Fairfax County Park Authority is warning now: leave the coolers, alcohol,…