News

JUST IN: Gas leaks reported in Vienna and Burke after workers hit pipes

Updated at 5:45 p.m.The gas leak in Vienna was stopped around 1:30 p.m., the county fire department said. The cutoff caused an outage for seven customers, who are now in the process of being reconnected, according to Washington Gas.

Earlier: Fairfax County firefighters are currently responding to two separate gas leaks in residential neighborhoods, one in the Town of Vienna and another in Burke.

In Vienna, portions of Tapawingo Road and Park Street have been closed to traffic, as crews shut down a gas leak from a 2-inch pipeline in the 100 block of Tapawingo Road SE. As of 12:30 p.m., the leak has been stabilized, but firefighters from the county and town are waiting for Washington Gas to arrive.

Firefighters are also in Burke to address a different, active gas leak in the 9600 block of Bronte Drive. All nearby houses are safe, the Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department said.

In both cases, the leak was caused by workers hitting a pipeline, according to the fire department.

The department said it doesn’t currently have information about what the workers were doing or estimates for when repairs will be completed.