Email signup

Updated at 5:45 p.m.The gas leak in Vienna was stopped around 1:30 p.m., the county fire department said. The cutoff caused an outage for seven customers, who are now in the process of being reconnected, according to Washington Gas.

Earlier: Fairfax County firefighters are currently responding to two separate gas leaks in residential neighborhoods, one in the Town of Vienna and another in Burke.

In Vienna, portions of Tapawingo Road and Park Street have been closed to traffic, as crews shut down a gas leak from a 2-inch pipeline in the 100 block of Tapawingo Road SE. As of 12:30 p.m., the leak has been stabilized, but firefighters from the county and town are waiting for Washington Gas to arrive.

Firefighters are also in Burke to address a different, active gas leak in the 9600 block of Bronte Drive. All nearby houses are safe, the Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department said.

In both cases, the leak was caused by workers hitting a pipeline, according to the fire department.

The department said it doesn’t currently have information about what the workers were doing or estimates for when repairs will be completed.

0 Comments
The Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department responds to a gas leak in the McLean Community Center (via FCFRD/Twitter)

(Updated at 9:10 a.m.) There has been a “small” gas leak inside the McLean Community Center, the Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department reported this morning (Monday).

Firefighters were on the scene at 1234 Ingleside Avenue around 7 a.m. At that point, the situation was under control, and units were waiting for the gas company to arrive, according to the department.

The facility has been closed for the day, according to the McLean Project for the Arts, which says the leaking gas is carbon monoxide.

In a separate incident, the community center had to be evacuated in October, when workers hit a gas line on Oak Ridge Avenue, causing a leak near the adjacent Dolly Madison Library.

0 Comments
×

Subscribe to our mailing list