A middle ground may be emerging in what has become a tug-of-war between the Fairfax County Board of Supervisors and School Board over funding after-school programming at all 27 public middle schools.
The potential compromise: Rather than charging participation fees to families, the school system could seek voluntary donations and public-private partnerships to cover some of the enrichment program’s annual $11 million operating costs.
Currently, Fairfax County Public Schools funds about 64% of the annual cost of the Middle School After School (MSAS) programs, with the county government picking up the rest. But during the past two budget cycles, the county has sought to reduce or offset its approximately $3.9 million contribution, which helps pay for supplies and some staffing.
Last year, the Board of Supervisors restored funding that had been proposed for elimination on the condition that staff develop a plan to recoup future expenses. Accordingly, the supervisors adopted a fiscal year 2027 budget in May that proposed a $300 annual fee for the currently free programs, fueling tensions between members of the two governing boards.
Exempting students who qualify for free or reduced-price meals, the county projected that the fees would generate $1.1 million annually, covering about a quarter of its contribution.
However, the idea of charging most students a participation fee of up to $300 annually was rejected by nearly all school board members when presented at a work session yesterday (Tuesday).
Among their comments:
- “This is not the way to go — this just doesn’t seem to be feasible,” Mason District Representative Ricardy Anderson said.
- “This does nothing more than push them out” of the Middle School After School (MSAS) program, said at-large member Ryan McElveen.
- “I’m not prepared to ask for any activity fees from our middle-school students,” at-large member Ilryong Moon said.
- “We can find this money somewhere in our budget,” Sully District Representative Seema Dixit said.
But getting FCPS to cover an additional $1 million doesn’t seem to be the point of the supervisors’ request, said Springfield District Representative Sandy Anderson.
“What they are asking for is skin in the game from all parties,” including families, she said. “We don’t necessarily have to agree with it, but we do have to listen to what the request is.”

It was Sandy Anderson who floated the alternative of encouraging families to donate to Educate Fairfax, the nonprofit foundation supporting FCPS, in lieu of a mandatory, fixed participation fee.
“We should try this out this year with a pay-what-you-can model,” she said, calling $300 “the wrong amount” and suggesting, but not specifying, a more nominal sum.
The proposal won the support of Dranesville District Representative Robyn Lady, who was designated as the board’s new chair at its July 9 meeting. Others seemed at least open to the concept, which Sandy Anderson said she would flesh out into a full-fledged proposal in coming weeks.
Among those hoping for a compromise was Newt Shosteck, the current student representative to the school board.
A pricey participation fee “is not going to work,” said Shosteck, a student at Hayfield Secondary School.
The student representative also questioned who would be responsible for ensuring a family had paid — a question FCPS staff had no immediate answer for.
Started largely as a gang-prevention effort two decades ago, the Middle School After School program had more than 23,000 middle-schoolers enrolled during the 2025-2026 school year — about 80% of the middle school student body — and an overall average weekly attendance of more than 15,000.
The program relies on a staff of about 1,200, including 350 volunteers.

“The sense of belonging and growth is immeasurable,” said Tom Horn, executive director of the FCPS Office of Student Activities and Athletics.
Both Horn and Superintendent Michelle Reid suggested they were only bringing the matter to the school board because their county government counterparts had insisted.
“We’re providing an update on conversations with the county,” Reid said, while Horn stressed that the fee “isn’t our office’s proposal.”
Under the proposed concept, students would not be charged solely for participating in after-school tutoring programs or athletics. In addition, the $300 fee could be reduced or waived for specific students due to economic status.
No fees would be imposed on students attending middle schools covered by the Community Eligibility Provision of the federal Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act of 2010. They include Glasgow, Herndon, Holmes, Key, Poe and Whitman middle schools.
The school board must also consider the consequences for the staff coordinators employed at each middle school to oversee the MSAS programming.
“I don’t want to lose those 26 people,” Sandy Anderson said. “They become a trusted adult in the building.”
Several school board members said they felt trapped in a no-win situation: If they impose fees, participation levels will plummet, and if they don’t, the county government might pull its full $3.9 million in annual funding.
County officials are “putting the proverbial guns to our heads,” at-large member Kyle McDaniel said.
Top screenshot via FCPS/YouTube