A number of public spaces in Reston Town Center will get a facelift.
As reported last month, work on Fountain Plaza and the pavilion will begin this spring. Now, Boston Properties is offering a first look at the planned upgrades.
The renovations will be the first major updates to the town center’s public spaces in roughly 30 years.
Alan Ward, a principle at Sasaki Associates, is leading the design team of the project. He deferred comment to Boston Properties on the overall project, but said in a statement that the spaces will meet the needs “of today and into future.”
“I am thrilled to work on these updates, which respect the spirit and vision of the original designs while enhancing access, activating the spaces, and providing years of enjoyment and to come.” Ward said.
Per Boston Properties, the enhancements will include:
- Two fire pits in front of the Pavilion adjacent to Market Street will add to the holiday and cooler months’ experience
- Large fans will help cool the space during warmer months for both formal and informal gatherings
- An expansion through the service street adjacent to the Hyatt will create more flexibility and space for programming, events, and daily activations
- A wooden deck that will serve as a seating area and a stage for smaller events and performances
- Additional seating areas in the artificial turf area during warm months
- The fountain: Renovation of the lower base area, with new tiling, expanded seating, and tiered landscaping, and replacement of the entire outdated mechanical system. The original design of the upper base and Mercury statue will remain unchanged.
- New trees and plantings to replace aged greenery and damaged root systems
- Expansion of outdoor seating, including stadium-style structures and traditional tables and chairs
The town center’s ice rink will operate from November through March, but some events will be relocated or rescheduled during construction. Some areas might be temporarily unavailable, according to Boston Properties spokesperson Sapna Yathiraj.
“We are working with our event partners to providing alternate locations in 22 for our annual events, which will provide the dynamic, community focused atmphosphere RTC is known for even while some areas are temporarily unavailable.” Yathiraj wrote in a statement.
A 5 BD/3.5 BA brick home with a stone gas fireplace and garden patio is included in Open Houses.
The weekend is almost here. Before the remnants of Hurricane Ian arrive or you head to bed for some much-needed sleep, let’s revisit the past week of news in Fairfax…
One of the oldest neighborhoods in southeastern Fairfax County is holding its birthday party this weekend, despite the likelihood of rain. Jefferson Manor near Groveton is celebrating its 75th birthday…
The general public’s last chance to weigh in on Fairfax County’s ongoing study of the bicycle and pedestrian network in the West Falls Church Metro station area will come later…
Are you tired of going to the gym? It might be the crowds, the locker room, waiting on equipment or the time it takes to commute to the gym.
Having a personal trainer come to your home will keep you accountable, save you time and allow you to workout in the comfort of your own home.
Skip the hassle of the gym and try our in-home personal training service.
Our services are reasonably priced, convenient, effective and are risk free.
Ending your marriage and living in the shadows of its pain is one thing, but when children (2 and 4 legged ones) are involved it’s not only about you. Divorce Mediation is the way to resolve the past and establish a solid, cooperative foundation to reorganize the relationship with your former partner. Everyone involved will benefit and you will gain peace-of-mind. Divorce Mediation is the cost effective way to negotiate your divorce and sign a Separation Agreement that is equitable and fair.
Walid Jawad will facilitate the divorce process in a calm and thoughtful manner to help you establish the foundation for your next phase in life. Walid’s 5-Star google reviews is a testament to his dedication to limiting divorcing couples’ stress during this intense transitional period.
Mediate your divorce virtually from the convenience of your kitchen table for $1,200 and save yourself the average Virginia cost of $15,000 per divorce and $22,000 with children. Make a complimentary appointment with Walid at Aether Mediation here: www.aethermediation.com
Join us on Saturday, October 15, 2022, from 1 pm to 3 pm where it all began in 2012 at the Hartke Building parking lot. We coalesced around a common vision, and purpose and have moved forward with unwavering community