The Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) is looking for public feedback on some planned improvements — including a potential widening — for a stretch of Telegraph Road in Franconia.
The goal of the project is to cut down on congestion along the busy road as well as improve pedestrian mobility.
In a presentation last week, VDOT said the most basic upgrade would be adding an “auxiliary through lane” for northbound traffic on the east side of Telegraph Road, which could hopefully help cut down on congestion.
Per VDOT, Telegraph Road averages about 20,000 vehicles a day, and Hayfield Road averages about 7,900 vehicles daily.
There are two additional concepts connected to that widening. They involve adding sidewalks to the east side of Telegraph Road or adding sidewalks on one or both sides of the street.
According to a release from VDOT:
- Baseline concept: Adding a northbound auxiliary through lane on Telegraph Road through the Hayfield Road intersection and upgrading curb ramps on the east side of Telegraph Road
- Widening to east concept: Adding a northbound auxiliary through lane on Telegraph Road through the Hayfield Road intersection, and upgrading curb ramps and providing an eight-foot-wide sidewalk on the east side of Telegraph Road
- Widening to west concept: Adding a northbound auxiliary through lane on Telegraph Road through the Hayfield Road intersection, reducing crosswalk lengths, upgrading curb ramps, and providing an eight-foot-wide sidewalk on the east side of Telegraph Road and a six-foot-wide sidewalk on the west side
There are two additional alternatives that focus just on pedestrian improvements with no road widening. According to the release, they are:
- Reducing crosswalk lengths and upgrading curb ramps at the Telegraph Road/Hayfield Road intersection
- Reducing crosswalk lengths, upgrading curb ramps, and providing a six-foot-wide sidewalk on the west side and an eight-foot-wide sidewalk on the east side of Telegraph Road
The survey will be available online through Feb. 13.
Image via Google Maps
Police are still looking for a driver who fired multiple gunshots at other vehicles on the Capital Beltway (I-495) in the Annandale area on Sunday (March 19). The shooting was…
The sun will shine into the night this Saturday (March 25), as the McLean Community Center hosts its first-ever Fiesta del Sol. The inaugural celebration of Latin American and Caribbean…
A day after neighboring Arlington County made waves by ending single-family exclusive zoning, Fairfax County saw its own zoning reforms reversed two years after they were approved. The Virginia Supreme…
In response to calls for additional legal assistance, Fairfax County is poised to establish a self-help resource center in the library of its courthouse complex. At a Fairfax County Board…
Synetic Theater Camps are a wildly fun, highly accessible choice for young people who love moving, playing games, and making memories. Registration is open now for Summer Camps (sessions June 20-August 25) and there are even a few spots left for Spring Break camp, April 3-7.
Located in National Landing, these performance-based camps are designed for students of all ages – no theater or performance experience required.
Led by professional teaching artists, campers learn acting, movement, and technical theater skills through the lens of Physical Theater. Physical Theater incorporates acting, movement, dance, mime, and acrobatics. If you’ve seen a Cirque du Soleil performance, you’ll find many similarities.
EDBS Dental Billing Solutions is pleased to announce that it has achieved compliance with the federally mandated standards of the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) through the use of Compliancy Group’s proprietary HIPAA methodology, The Guard® compliance tracking software, and HIPAA Seal of Compliance®.
The HIPAA Seal of Compliance is issued to organizations that have implemented an effective HIPAA compliance program through the use of The Guard, Compliancy Group’s proprietary compliance tracking solution.
Clients and patients are becoming more aware of the requirements of HIPAA compliance and how the regulation protects their personal information. Forward-thinking providers like EDBS Dental Billing Solutions choose the HIPAA Seal of Compliance to differentiate their services.
McLean Volunteer Fire Department-Inova Blood Drive
MVFD has teamed up with Inova Blood Donor Services for a blood drive on Friday, March 31, in our lower parking lot at 1455 Laughlin Avenue. The blood drive will run from 1:30 p.m. to 5:30 pm. Please consider making
Van Metre 5K Run
Calling all serious runners, occasional joggers, and weekend walkers of all levels! Participate in the 31st Annual Van Metre 5K Run supporting Children’s National Hospital–the event that goes a long way!
Date: Saturday, April 29, 2023