(updated at 6:40 p.m.) The National Weather Service has issued winter weather and wind advisories for Fairfax County tomorrow (Saturday).
NWS warns that there may be snow accumulations of between 2 to 4 inches. The winter weather advisory is between 7 a.m. and 3 p.m. Saturday, coinciding with a wind advisory that will take effect between 6 a.m. to 1 a.m. on Sunday.
Fairfax County Public Schools has canceled all activities that were set to take place on school grounds Saturday, including SAT testing, extracurriculars and recreation and community uses.
Winter Weather Advisories have been expanded eastward to include much of the I-95 corridor for Saturday morning. Wind Advisories are also in effect for much of the area. This paired with heavy, wet snowfall could lead to some power outages, especially where heaviest snow falls. pic.twitter.com/Ia9bez8Wt2
— NWS Baltimore-Washington (@NWS_BaltWash) March 11, 2022
The county sent out a news release warning that they expect the incoming weather “will bring heavy winds, with gusts up to 55 mph.”
See the full NWS winter weather advisory is below.
…WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 7 AM TO 3 PM EST SATURDAY…
* WHAT…Snow expected. Total snow accumulations of 2 to 4 inches. Northwest winds will gust around 45 to 55 mph.
* WHERE…Portions of central and northeastern Maryland, northern and central Virginia, and the District of Columbia, including most of the DC and Baltimore metros.
* WHEN…From 7 AM to 3 PM EST Saturday. Rain will change to snow between 7 and 9 AM early Saturday. The steadiest snow will be through Saturday morning.
* IMPACTS…Plan on slippery road conditions. Gusty winds could bring down tree branches.
* ADDITIONAL DETAILS…Visibility may be reduced to below one- quarter mile at times. Brief near blizzard conditions are possible between 8 and 11 AM.
Slow down and use caution while traveling.
When venturing outside, watch your first few steps taken on steps, sidewalks, and driveways, which could be icy and slippery, increasing your risk of a fall and injury.
CitySwing, a golf facility designed for people of all skill levels, plans to open at Reston Town Center in the first quarter of next year. The facility at 11897 Market…
Local Republicans nominated Karina Lipsman on Saturday (May 21) to seek the U.S. House seat currently held by Rep. Don Beyer (D-Va.). Early voting is underway for the June 21 Democratic…
Jollibee has confirmed that it plans to open its fried chicken chain in Chantilly some time this year. The popular restaurant will open at 4406 Chantilly Shopping Center in space…
Land ho! After over two years of anticipated arrivals dashed against the rocky shores of the COVID-19 pandemic and various construction-related challenges, Shipgarten will dock at last in Scotts Run…